Do you remember rice bubble slice? You probably had it at your birthday party as a kid or maybe you've made it more recently? The main ingredient in traditional bubble slice is rice bubbles (hence the name), and you would normally add butter, sugar and potentially cocoa for a chocolate version. Bubble slice has been a staple at Kiwi birthday parties for generations!
We've taken the concept of bubble slice and added a few healthy twists. We've replaced the rice bubbles with puffed quinoa (purchased from the Bin Inn) and we've coated our bars in nutrient dense Viberi blackcurrants for extra nutrition and flavour.
Quinoa is a highly nutritious seed. Most people think of quinoa as a grain but its not. It's actually the seed of a plant called the goosefoot plant (I kid you not!).
Compared with rice, quinoa has a far superior nutritional profile. It is much higher in protein (11.7% vs 2.7%) and much higher in fiber (8.9% vs 0.9%) and it's also higher in trace elements such as iron, zinc and magnesium. So using puffed quinoa instead of rice bubbles makes good sense nutritionally.
We used a packed of Clean Mixes Salted Caramel Mix to give the bubble slice an incredible caramel flavour. Clean Mixes Salted Caramel Mix is a wholefood bliss ball mix made with crushed cashews, dates and organic maca - a superfood from Peru. There is so much goodness and gorgeous flavour in this mix!
We used a silicone mould to create the bar shapes - but you could easily press the bubble slice mixture into a tray and slice it into bars. Then we did something to take this slice to the next level of amazing.
We coated the bubble slice in melted white chocolate (we used Sweet William vegan white choc chips) mixed together with Viberi Organic Blackcurrant Powder.
Blackcurrants are extremely high in Vitamin C and anthocyanins so you're getting a huge dose of goodness from this zingy powder. Viberi Blackcurrant powder comes from blackcurrants grown right here in New Zealand and it's also organic (double win!).
The flavour combination in these bars is divine. You get sweetness from the dates in the Salted Caramel Mix, salty (also from the Salted Caramel Mix) and tart from the Viberi Blackcurrant Powder.
These bars are a HUGE step up from traditional bubble bars in more ways than one. They are nutritionally far superior and they are also a taste sensation. We highly recommend giving these a go!
- 1 x Packet Clean Mixes Salted Caramel Mix
- 1/2 cup Popped Quinoa
- 2 Tbsp Rice Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Sweet William White Chocolate Chips (can use any white choc that you like)
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 20g Viberi Blackcurrant Powder
- Extra white chocolate for drizzle
- Mix together bar ingredients and press into a silicone mould or lined tray. Press firmly into mould or tray to ensure the bar sticks together. Place in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- To make coating, gently melt white chocolate and coconut oil together. Keep on a low temperature and stir continuously. Mix in 20g Viberi Blackcurrant Powder and stir to combine.
- Take your bars out of their mould or cut into pieces from your tray. Coat each one thoroughly in your blackcurrant chocolate mixture and place on a lined tray. Cool in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Melt some extra white chocolate and drizzle over the top of your bars. Keep these delights in the fridge until you are ready to consume.